Tuesday 7 August 2012

Orzo Salad with Pesto and Tomatoes

My cousin Robin and her husband Scott have just moved up to our neck of the woods and I'm super excited to know I can see them more often.  These people make me smile and laugh...laugh hard.
Moving day rolled around and instead of offering my muscles, I offered up food for everyone helping out.  Hard work deserves more than take out pizza and beer.  It deserves a bunch of homemade food and beer.  I came up with this salad to accompany Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken and I think I chose right.  It was simple and delicious.
I used a pint of cherry tomatoes and roasted half of them and left the others raw for texture and interest.  Do what you need to do but I do recommend oven roasting some or all of them....deliciously sweet.  This could also be served warm if you wanted to but I thought it made an awesome salad.
p.s. I made my pesto (recipe is on the blog) and I highly recommend that.  Store bought just doesn't have the same effect and you'll come up short in the flavour department....just sayin'...



Orzo Salad with Pesto and Tomatoes
Serves 6-8 (as a side)

1 recipe for Pesto http://delishdishcooks.blogspot.ca/2011/09/pesto.html
2 cups dry Orzo, cooked (should yield about 4 cups cooked)
1 pint Cherry Tomatoes, halved (oven roast all or half)
salt & pepper to taste
Pine Nuts for garnish

Make Pesto. Add pesto to cooked Orzo and toss in tomatoes. Check salad for seasoning - you will need to add some salt.  Refrigerate.  Garnish with extra pine nuts before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment